Meri Ziev, Vocalist
Ocean Ridge, FL (Palm Beach County)
Meri Ziev (she, her, hers) is a communication specialist and an artist whose medium is music and lyric interpretation. She is a perpetual learner who continues to hone her performance skills with coach, Director and friend, Tony Award winner, Faith Prince. Meri has also trained with greats like Ann Hampton Callaway, Marilyn Maye, Karen Mason, Jeff Harnar, Angela Bacari and Peisha McPhee. She has attended Swing-Time Jazz Bootcamp I & II with Gabrielle Stravelli. Prior to expanding into the Jazz scene, Meri garnered awards for outstanding performances in musical theatre, and established a Cabaret Series at the Lake Worth Playhouse. She studied for three summers at Tim Schall's St. Louis Cabaret Conference, where she had the honor of musical direction by Billy Stritch, Tedd Firth, Alex Rybeck and Michael Orland. She dove head first into Jazz-Jams thanks to Drew "It's Not a Xylophone" Tucker! Meri is also a certified Speech-Language Pathologist. She combines her love of communication, engaging an audience, and sharing music by creating lecture-performances for local retirement communities. Meri collaborates with MAC and Bistro Award Winning Arrangers /Accompanists/Music Directors Bobby Peaco and Christopher Denny, and Music Director/Arranger/Accompanist, Phil Hinton, formerly with the BBC Orchestra, with whom Meri completed studio recordings (listen on the Home page!). Meri is a vocalist with the Spirit & Soul Jazz Band led by J.R. Apollon. She has performed with the Jupiter Jazz and Performing Arts Society, and she is a regular at Jazz on J Street. Meri is a member of Women in Jazz South Florida. Meri is also a proud member of the Manhattan Association of Cabarets and Clubs (MAC), The Mabel Mercer Foundation, and the Cultural Council for Palm Beach County.
Genres & Show Themes
Genres include songbook standards, jazz, pop songs, show tunes, blues, soul, movie music and more! Meri is available for hire as a solo artist, with piano accompaniment, jazz duo or trio, or with a full band.
In addition to Jazz shows with the Spirit & Soul Jazz Band, the following are among Meri’s Cabaret show themes, many also available as Lecture Performances:
- In Other Words-a personal, musical exploration of communication and authenticity. Songs include a new interpretation of Besame Mucho, Courtship Dance Medley, Meri's Musical Theatre Mama's Medley, We Belong, and more!
- True Colors-A blending of the colors of life in lyrics. Chiaroscuro-the light and shadows in paintings, photography & lyrics, such as "Come Rain or Come Shine". Contemplate shades of color and meaning, and famous artists, with songs such as "Vincent" (Starry Night), "Blue Skies", and, of course, being authentic and showing our "True Colors"!
- Chanteuse Secrets-Peek behind the curtains & movie scenes, go backstage at the theatre, and take a glimpse into the personal stories of some of your favorite Chanteuses. What single sold over a million copies, but was rejected by not one, but two famous singers? What composition sold for $15 and went on to earn a famous girl-group their first gold record? Shhhh—they are secrets! Unless, of course, you come to the show! I can say that you’ll hear the music of Barbra Streisand, Ella Fitzgerald, Doris Day, The Ronette’s & more!
- The Times & Tunes of Daddy’s Girl, Part I-The music and culture emanating from the dashboard of Daddy’s Buick Riviera, from 1964 to 1965. A listen-back to a banner year on Broadway (“Hello, Dolly!”), a blockbuster year of films (“Mary Poppins”), civil unrest (“Dancing in the Street”), and the latest & greatest innovations and music associated with the biggest event of the year, in Flushing Meadow, N.Y.-The World’s Fair. After all, “It’s a Small World”!
- Crossover Hits Part I: “& All That Jazz”-Which came first, the show tune, the jazz standard, or the movie music? “On the Street Where You Live”, “It’s Only a Paper Moon”, “Happiness is Just a Thing Called Joe” and more-Showtunes & Standards & Soundtracks, Oh my! Crossover Hits & All that Jazz!
- A Patriotic Parade of Songs-From the first flag of our country & the patriotic ditties of the time, through the greatest standards of the WWII era (“Stuff Like That There”), right into the enduring folk songs (“If I Had a Hammer”), & melodies that uplifted us while we struggled with the events of 9/11 (The Wind Beneath My Wings”), “This Land”—and this music—were “made for you and me!” Includes a tribute to the 5 branches of the U.S. Military. By the way, what exactly is a Yankee Doodle Dandy?
- My Favorite Things-Winter traditions such as "Besame Mucho" under the mistletoe, "Let it Snow" & celebrations around the world, "Mele Kalikimaka" is the thing we say. Music, among "My Favorite Things", is the love that keeps us warm!
- Summer Samba & Such- includes “It’s Too Darn Hot”, “Heatwave”, & “Summertime”.
- Autumn Leaves-Includes “Spooky”, “Old Devil Moon", "Old Black Magic", and of course, "Autumn Leaves".
PLUS!! Two DUET shows:
- "Legendary Ladies of Song" with Kelly DiLorenzo
- "Steve & Eydie! A Celebration" with David Meulemans